Surprisingly, many people unfamiliar with how paid search works are adamant that bidding on brand keywords is an unacceptable practice in search marketing.
The logic sounds simple enough: why would you pay Google for a click when they would just go to your website anyway?
The truth is that while many searchers will click on the top organic result (somewhere around 44%, more or less depending on your source), organic search results are likely only drawing in less than half of the clicks for a brand keyword. That leaves 56% of all searchers not finding a brand website – either going to a competitor or stopping their search altogether.
Search marketers shouldn’t be satisfied until they capture 100% of those brand searchers.
There are plenty of advantages to bidding on brand terms for paid search, including:
We know that you have worked hard to build your brand, so it is our duty to explain to you how much your brand will help your results, lower costs, and bring you more business.
It’s time to stop thinking small when it comes to bidding on brand keyword terms. It’s time to start thinking about incremental business at a very low cost per acquisition.
That is what makes the most business sense.