Google Presentation: An Industry Created By Google
Last week I had the honor of speaking at the University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management for a class entitled BA 1905 -- "Internet Search Economics, Google, and New Business Opportunities" - a great name for a course covering this relatively new industry, with some truly engaging curriculum around my favorite topic of conversation: Search Engines, Marketing, and creating a business model around increasing visibility on the web.
With a blank canvas to work with and many possibilities for conversation, the professor and I decided that it would be best to do an hour long presentation on Google. The presentation pretty much wrote itself from that point on.
Since I am so closely involved with, and dependent on Google (I use their products, actively read their blogs and use their search engine every day) the talk came naturally for me. The presentation was mostly just an "off the top of my head" overview of what I know about Google from various books that I have read, interactions with teams, etc. Here is a loose outline of what I talked about:
- Creation of a New Industry
- What Google Means to Online Marketing
- What Makes Google Interesting?
- What Does the Future Hold?
- About Three Deep
- Questions and Answers
Being the slacker that I am, I spent all weekend pulling my presentation together and didn't even get a chance to rehearse before my Monday afternoon talk. Fortunately, the subject matter came naturally to me and I was able to turn out a well received speech.
It was really humbling to receive feedback from the students on my presentation. They found it to be a very valuable and engaging experience, but don't take my word for it - listen to the students!
* "Really neat info on how to make money from Google. Very informational, straight-forward. Good presentation. Cool guy."
* "I thought this was a very interesting presentation. I learned a lot of fascinating things and this opened my eyes to a completely new industry that I was unaware of before."
* "I thought the presentation was really good. The presenter is very knowledgeable and passionate about what he does. I liked hearing about what we have been learning, from the perspective of someone who is in the business."
* "Jeff was really great. He is very knowledgeable and willing to share information."
* "Presented and covered many relevant topics about how Google's innovations have made the company successful. Suggested possible market or venues that Google could venture into. Answered hosting and marketing questions and gave advice to explore interests in internships and find contacts and connections."
* "He was interesting and very knowledgeable about Google. He also had a job related to Google which made the presentation especially interesting. Interesting to learn about the new company. Fun to see different things about Google."
* "I liked the real-world timely examples given."
* "Would have been interested to hear more about Three Deep Marketing and how they grew their company. More relevant info about online business growth and models would have been helpful and interesting."
* "Very interesting to get a real-world perspective on some of the issues/topics we've talked about in class! Very worthwhile/interesting!"
* "Some of the information was review, but speaker was very informative and gave a really strong overview of Google. Really gained my interest when he started to analyze why Google does what it does and how to be successful through Google."
* "I thought the presentation was very interesting. Jeff had a lot of good, useful information that was very relevant to the class. I like the fact that he had experience and real-life examples of certain things (such as the stories about domain names) because it was so real and put things into a good perspective. He knew a lot about the topics he talked about and presented it in a way that was clear and easy to understand. I learned a lot."
* "The presentation helped to link all the different Google ideas into the real business world and how they relate."
* "Good and clear information provided."
* "The information about starting your own website was very useful and interesting."
* "Useful overview and review of Google with insights from the real world. Great personal anecdotes that related to subject matter at hand. Material was presented in a catchy and eloquent manner but did not go over my head."
* "I found this very interesting and I was very engaged the whole time! Jeff knows his stuff and has a great way to get his information across and was a great speaker. It made me want to get into starting my own website. Great presentation!"